Buried in Inkscape .47 is the ability to make your own SVG fonts. This isn’t all that exciting because even Inkscape can’t use SVG fonts. However, pair this with a free font conversion tool and you now have a way to create your own TrueType fonts for free! The font creation features are not well developed yet, and there is precious little documentation, but after playing with this quite a while I have finally come up with a set of procedures that works. View/download the tutorial (PDF) here. View the video here. If you develop an original font for digital diecutters, please let me know so I can post it on my fonts page.
- fontstarter.svg file Inkscape file to be used with the tutorial
- Dingbat map webapp (Windows) for viewing your completed font
- Online Font Converter or Free Font Converter
- Inkscape documentation covering font editor
- See and download some example fonts at Denise’s Scrapbooking Room